I feel miserable for not reading or blogging as much as I want to but the past few weeks have been frustrating with work, studies, confrontations with friends, etc, etc. I have read only 1 book in February but have started 4 others and just left them hanging at various stages 😦 It has also been weeks since I posted anything but I hope to start posting again soon.
I was tagged by the wonderful Belinda to do this – make sure you check out her post here ! Thanks for the tag and sorry for delaying it for this long !!
1. Do you get sick while reading in the car?
Yes. Forget reading, even if I look at my phone for an extended time I get dizzy. Straight routes are ok but otherwise I just avoid.
2. Which author’s writing style is completely unique to you and why?
I recently read an excerpt of a book by Virginia Woolf and found it quite unique. I finished a book by Tagore in January and it was the first time I read something so heavy on poetic descriptions – not saying I liked it 😉
3. Harry Potter Series or the Twilight Saga? Give 3 points to defend your answer.
Ok if I definitely have to choose then I’d rather go with Harry Potter. Here is why its not Twilight
1. I don’t like the idea of humans romancing across species
2. If the books are similar to the movies (I’ve seen one), then the writing is quite mediocre
3. If you take away all the fluff, its as cliched as stories can be.
4. Do you carry a book bag? If so, what is in it (besides books…)?
I usually carry quite large handbags and if I feel I’m in for a long wait somewhere, I may just carry a book. Apart from that, I’ll just have a notebook, plenty of pens, a neat looking clutch (bought 2 new ones recently 🙂 ) and some cosmetic stuff.
5. Do you smell your books?
Not really … no.
6. Books with or without little illustrations?
Without … don’t gang up on me now !!
7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later it wasn’t quality writing?
I used to love bulky spy/murder thrillers as a teen – I don’t think they are considered quality writing now. Who cares though !
8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!
I don’t think there are any “funny” stories … is not returning a library book because it completes a series funny ? 😐
9. What is the thinnest book on your shelf?
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
10. What is the thickest book on your shelf?
Glimpses of World History by Jawaharlal Nehru
11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself in the future as being an author?
That would just be tragic 😀 I don’t write fiction – I enjoy writing essays/articles on technical or general topics but I’m useless when it comes to story-writing.
12. When did you get into reading?
I started very young – credit to my parents for that. They bought me a lot of Amar Chitra Katha, Jataka Tales and Panchatantra comics when I started school and its been going on since.
13. What is your favorite classic book?
Jane Eyre and White Fang – I cried for both. I read The Catcher in the Rye recently and liked it and of course there is To Kill a Mockingbird. Don’t worry, I won’t discuss the sequel now 😉
14. In school was your best subject Language Arts/English?
English was surely a strong subject – I topped the class *shameless gloating*
15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated…what would you do?
I would keep it anyway – I am sentimental about gifts that way. Just keep it tucked away in some corner of the house.
17. What is a bad habit you always do (besides rambling) while blogging?
Repetitive usage of words and phrases seems to be a problem. Most of the time I am fumbling for the right word to express my thoughts and I end up writing unnecessarily convoluted sentences.
18. What is your favorite word?
Right now its “bokeh” 😀 Foodie favourites are “ganache” and “praline”. I use “absolute(ly)” in conversations a lot.
19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?
What is the finer distinction ? I have no clue !! Lets just go with nerd for now ….
20. Vampires or Fairies? Why?
Fairies …. why ? I guess I like anything better than vampires.
21. Shapeshifters or Angels? Why?
Shapeshifters … who wouldn’t want that ?
22. Spirits or Werewolves? Why?
Werewolves …. I read a book once on how werewolves could actually be victims of a disease and how they were wrongfully persecuted. So I’m sympathetic 😉
23. Zombies or Vampires?
Oh come on ! I wish I could copy Belinda’s answer here 😀 Ok I have to go with vampires this time – don’t dare ask me why !!
24. Love Triangle or Forbidden Love
Forbidden love. Because there is only so much that can be done with a love triangle storyline – invariably most of the stories fall into love triangle templates like the hot guy/girl vs. the do-gooder best friend. I feel forbidden love can be portrayed in more nuanced ways.
25. AND FINALLY: Full on romance books or action-packed with a few love scenes mixed in?
The latter definitely !! I love action, mystery, thriller, etc. I don’t enjoy full on romances all that much. Most of the poetic writing is just lost on me 😀
Feel free to take up this tag – I would really like to see all the serious book bloggers attempt this !! 😉 🙂