This post has been inspired by the one at the Eleventh Stack – make sure you check it out !
So here goes ! And to quote the folks at Eleventh Stack “Grab a bushel of rotten tomatoes and get ready to pelt us, because we’re sorry-not-sorry about the following things”. At least they have safety in numbers 😀
1. I am not a fan of Harry Potter – there, I said it ! I read 2 books from the series and I decided it wasn’t for me. In fact, I am not a major fan of anything in the fantasy genre and haven’t been since childhood. I’d rather read a gruesome murder mystery over fantasy any day. The same applies to the whole Vampire – Werewolf sphere of fiction out there.
2. If someone around me over-hypes a book, I avoid it. A recommendation is welcome with open arms and even a nudge in the direction is ok but if they start going “OMG It is amazing ! What do you mean you haven’t read it ?” and repeat that a 1000 times, I will just skip the book. It irks me when people over-react and act as if life is not worth living if you haven’t read the book. Example of above is Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
3. Although I haven’t read many romance novels, I like some of the romance/rom-com movies. Examples – Four Weddings and a Funeral, My Best Friend’s Wedding, PS I Love You and Jerry Maguire (for obvious reasons).
Recently I saw The Notebook and One Day on TV and I just do not understand how they became hits ! Even A Walk to Remember for that matter. I just believe that they are a case of hype over substance.
4. Continuing on the subject of movies, I am not a fan of Hitchcock. I figured out the major “twist” in Psycho and I hold that one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life is The Birds.
I don’t know if the following are “unexpected” opinions but anyway …..
1. I love watching food shows on TV – Top Chef, Masterchef, Hell’s Kitchen, Eat Street, Food Safari – I don’t even eat half the food they show on there but I like watching them anyway.
2. There are some movies I have seen a dozen times or more but I still watch them every single time they are on TV – The Godfather, The Dark Knight, Rush Hour, Inglorious Basterds, Shutter Island, The Departed, etc. etc. 🙂
3. I collect notebooks of different shapes and sizes. Some of my favourites include a cloth-bound one with embroidery and one made with recycled elephant poo 😀
I guess that wraps it up. What do you think ? Are we still going to be on friendly terms ? 😉